.BANK Enhances Online Trust
Montecito Bank & Trust adopted the .bank domain in 2015. This is an important investment in both the future of our financial services and your banking security.
What is the difference?
- The new .bank domain incorporates security requirements that were created in partnership between the ICANN regulating body that assigns domain extensions and representatives from the banking industry.
Why did we make the change?
- .bank provides an enhanced level of verification and security that will help reduce phishing, spoofing, internet scams and malicious emails. This allows us to create a trusted, verified, more secure and easily identifiable location online for you to bank confidently.
What are the additional security benefits?
- .bank is only open to banks that are verified by their regulator. You cannot obtain this domain if you are not a bank. This provides customers with a level of confidence that they are accessing a legitimate bank website.
- Because the .bank domain is verified and authenticated, phishing, spoofing, internet scams and malicious emails that target bank customers should be reduced.
- The .bank extension incorporates the latest security requirements and best practices including a sophisticated suite of specifications, Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC), SPF, DKIM, and DMARC for email authentication & verification, multi-factor authentication, enhanced encryption (NIST Level 3) and prohibition of proxy/privacy registration. This is unique to .bank and not instituted with standard domains.
Do I have to do anything as a customer?
- No, montecito.com will automatically redirect to montecito.bank, but we recommend you create a new bookmark to montecito.bank for easy access.
Will this affect my online or mobile banking?
- This does not affect our current online and mobile banking solutions. This is one of many projects we have started to improve our digital banking solutions which we look forward to sharing more about in the near future.
Want to know more?
Click here for additional information about .bank from the American Bankers Association. Or call us at (805) 963-7511
Click here for a video about .BANK